Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:16:05 -0600
From:      dbaker@cuckoo.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, usb-bsd@makelist.com
Subject:   Logitech USB Wheel Mouse on -current

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

Moo!

 I've "installed" (read: plugged in) a Logitech USB Wheel Mouse
 on my FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT box (Fri Jan 29 12:10:58 CST 1999) and
 it seems to probe it nicely:

  scream:/home/dbaker% dmesg|grep ^u
  uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB Host Controller> rev 0x01 int d irq =
19 on pci0.4.2
  usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB Host Controller>
  uhub0 at usb0
  uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
  ums0
  ums0: Logitech N48, rev 1.00/4.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
  ums0: 3 buttons
  scream:/home/dbaker% ls -l /dev/u*
  crw-------  1 root  wheel  111,   0 Jan 29 13:04 /dev/ums0
  crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    2,   4 Nov 19 18:36 /dev/urandom
  crw-------  1 root  wheel  108,   0 Jan 29 13:04 /dev/usb0
  scream:/home/dbaker% su
  ksu[8888]: Account root: authorization for dbaker@CUCKOO.COM successful
  scream# usbdevs -v
  Controller /dev/usb0:
  addr 1: self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub, Intel, rev 1.00
   port 1 powered
   port 2 addr 2: low speed, power 26 mA, config 1, N48, Logitech, rev 4.00
  scream#=20

 However, I've been unsuccessful in getting either Xaccel or Xfree to=20
 properly handle the mouse.  I think this may be because I'm selecting
 the incorrect "protocol" for the device.  I've tried all three in
 Xaccel (bus, serial, ps/2), and a handful in XFree, but the mouse is never
 properly functional.  (It either doesn't move the way I'm moving the
 pointing device, or it doesn't do anything at all).  Throughout this,
 I've had the X servers to access the mouse via /dev/ums0.  I'm not
 confident that this is the correct device, as it may be some raw
 device for the BSD USB programs to acquire their data.

 So, what should I be using as the device name and protocol?

Thanks,

Daniel

--=20
dbaker@cuckoo.com - CuckooNet Consultant - www.cuckoo.com