Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:09:29 -0500
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
To:        "'Barney Wolff'" <barney@tp.databus.com>, "'Matthew Dillon'" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "'Olaf R'" <olaf@keghouse.net>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Abominable NFSv3 read performance / FreeBSD server / Solaris client

Ok, I've now been (almost) successful in getting Solaris to FreeBSD to
work the same way as Solaris to Solaris.

Solaris has a parameter tcp_deferred_ack_interval that is set to a
default of 100.  This sounded like is was causing the 1/10 second
delays.  I dropped it down to 10.  Suddenly, NFS was tons faster at the
default rsize.  (I started out at 150 seconds for a 64MB file or so, and
this single change moved it up to 20 seconds)

I see that FreeBSD (net.inet.tcp.delacktime?) uses 100 as well.
Searching Google, I came up with a few discussions on the deferred_ack
parameter and in almost all cases people were lowering it to 10.

The question still is why do the delays happen across platforms and not
when connecting on the same platform?

Jaime