Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 22:54:37 -0400
From:      Shawn Carey <smc@servtech.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Performance

Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
[...]
> Alternatively, try reducing the MTU and MRU of ppp's tun interface to 552
> or 1064.  That cured Robert Chalmers' problem with his ISP's Ascend routers.

Yes!  That did it, thanks very much!

One small thing: The only way I was able to effectively change the MTU
was by hacking the ppp source to change DEF_MRU to 1064 in hdlc.h.
Using ppp's "set mru" and "set mtu" options did not work - the interface
would go back to 1500 as soon as I connected with my ISP, even though I
changed tun0's MTU manually with ifconfig.  Am I doing something wrong,
or is ppp broken?  At any rate, I can certainly live with this since my
ISP is the only system I typically connect to.

Thanks again,
-Shawn