Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:05:50 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Utah-glx, agpgart and G400

Hello,

Recently I installed XFree86-3.3.6 and Utah-glx (on 4.2-BETA), both using
ports. I'm loading agp.ko at startup (in /boot/loader.conf) and did a
'sh MAKEDEV agpgart' in /dev. At startup, an agp0 device is detected.

X is configured to run at 16bpp, 1600x1200 on a Matrox G400 card with 32MB.
I browsed the glx.conf file and found the defaults OK for me.
When starting X (using xdm), the log shows a lot of [mga] lines. It shows
some AGP related stuff and ends with

waitForDmaCompletion: still going!
PRIMADDRESS is 0xdc005a74 END 0xdc3fb7f6
SECADDRESS is 0x0 END 0x0
SETUPADDRESS is 0x0 END 0x0
STATUS is 0x80000020
xdm error (pid 271): IO Error in XOpenDisplay
xdm error (pid 267): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly: 1536
xdm error (pid 267): Display :0 cannot be opened

xdm is restarted several times but always fails. The screen is black and
I need to log in through the network to reboot the machine (thereby resetting
the video card).

If I do not load agp.ko, the log complains about the agpgart device not
configured, but starts OK, and rendering works more or less. It's a lot
faster then software-Mesa, but my impression is that a G400 could do
faster. Playing linux Unreal Tournament, the framerate is far below the
performance of the Voodoo2-SLI that I also have in the machine (a factor
2 or so).

Is it possible to get agp going with Utah glx? Would it be useful to
increase the performance?

BTW: on the same machine I had XFree-4 with agp and DRI going fine, so I
assume resources are OK. Before going to XFree-3 I removed XFree-4 and
Mesa (compiled via port with XFREE86_VERSION=4 option, to install some
additional libs).

If additional info is needed, I'll do my best to provide it ;-).

Karel.