Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:49:49 -0500
From:      Terry Lee <terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   WD driver serendipity

	I mailed the following to freebsd-hackers a couple of days ago, but
it never showed up.  Anyway, amid the usual "this doesn't work" reports
during alpha testing (or any other time it seems :=) ), I'd like to report
something working that I did not expect.  Isn't ST506 multi-block transfer
capability available on only IDE disks?  I have an UltraStor 12F ESDI disk
controller.  After reading that 32-bit and multi-block transfers are now
supported by the wd driver, I decided to enable "flags wdc0 0x80ff80ff"
thinking, "bwa ha ha, this could be fun!"  To my surprise, the wd driver
reported "multi-block-8" and the CPU usage of the wd driver decreased by
at least 10% on my 486DX-40 system.  Thanks for the great work!  If 32-bit
and multi-block transfers don't cause problems, I hope they will be enabled
by default in 2.1 since I suspect not everyone is aware of them.  Has
multi-block transfer been available on ST506 disk controllers all along?
If so, has it taken that long (after IDE disks were introduced) for the BIOS
manufacturers to support this capability?

					Terry Lee
					terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu