Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:23:09 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Nate Puri <natepuri@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde 2.1.1 shortcut permissions error

> As a normal user, when I try to create an application
> shortcut in kde, it comes up as owner root/wheel.
> Then, I get the error that I do not have sufficient
> permissions to create the icon.  Why is this?

This is true since KDE 2.0 . BTW, it works o.k. with Linux so this is
maybe some subtile difference in the permission routines.
But a workaround is easy: Create an empty icon (i.e. don't do any
changes as they wouldn't be saved), ignore all error messages (i.e.
hit "OK" all the time). The icon will nevertheless appear on your
Desktop. Right-click, enter properties and you will see that you are
the owner (as opposed to root), but have only read permissions. So
change this to read and write permission. That again will cause an
error message, but is done correct. Now enter the properties again and
change the executable, name, icon,... to whatever you want.
I really should check, if this is already officially announced to the
KDE bug list.

Ciao
Siegbert