Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:39:56 -0500
From:      Chip Norkus <wd@arpa.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade: integration with the main FreeBSD tree?

On Thu Dec 20, 2001; 02:37AM +0000 Thomas Hurst propagated the following:

[snip]

> It's not functionality added to FreeBSD though, it's added to ports, and
> hence if you don't have any ports installed it's just unwanted cruft.
>
> I'd be very happy if sysinstall were to recommend it, however.

How about, if you want to install the ports system, you install the ports
utilities, and if you don't, you won't get any of them (such as the pkg_*
collection).  That way, we can have a really nice package system, and folks who
don't want it don't have to have it.  All that might need to remain in the base
are the standard pkg_add/pkg_info commands for those who don't want the ports
system and all that it entails.

> I'd be even happier if all the perl in the base system was replaced
> with Ruby, especially since Ruby is smaller, but I guess we can't have
> everything :)

Or just remove any kind of GPL scripting language? ;)

> --
> Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky@aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/

-wd
--