Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 95 15:31:07 CDT
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.0.5-A:  Very disheartening?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

I can't seem to make it through the install for the life of me.  I see
spontaneous reboots and lockups.  It looks to be the same sickness I see on
my diskless P90 box at work.

System:  wye.sol.net, 486DX4/100, 8MB RAM, 3c503 Ethernet, CGA monitor and
keyboard (since it doesn't seem to have the serial bootblocks and stuff
installed on boot.flp).

Install:  via NFS or FTP from hummin.sol.net (wye is not Internet-visible).

It seems to have severe problems if I do not manage to get all the options
JUST right on the first attempt.  And that's hard, because it's only
somewhat forgiving if you make a mistake, and it really still doesn't give
you any clues as to what went wrong.  The one time it really looked like it
was gonna work,  I got about 80% of the way through bin, and then it locked
and the speaker started a continuous tone.

This system has been running SNAP-04whatever95 and before that, 2.0R and
2.0-02whatever95.  Works fine.

This is most definitely NOT the fun project I had envisioned for this
afternoon.  :-(

... Joe