Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 03:35:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>
Cc:        dragon@illusions.com, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIG BUG installing to notebook

> > Given the tone of this message, I don't think that I'm going to bother
> > answering it and I'd like to request that no one else reward this
> > brand of rudeness with an answer either.  The above statement was as
> Jordan, NOW who's being rude...

Not me - I'm simply stating facts, Julian.  People can treat us with
respect and get all the help we're able to give them or they can bite
the hand that feeds and stop being fed.  Period.

> c'mon give him the benefit of the doubt..
> he was REALLY frustrated..

He wouldn't be the first and he won't be the last.  We'll never, and I
repeat never, be able to make 100% of our users happy and there will
always be failure reports.  That's a fact of life we have to live
with.  Some users will go beyond the pale in reporting these failures,
however, and no degree of frustration justifies being abusive to our
overworked, volunteer question answering team.  I simply will not
stand for that, not now and not ever, and we have more than enough
people clamoring for help that we don't NEED to waste our time on
those who don't deserve it.  We are already stretched to the limits
just in trying to support those who do, many of whom are still waiting
patiently for questions that they asked weeks ago.

> this is not the way to get friends..
> Two wrongs don't make a RIGHT!
>
> turn the other cheek

Julian, this is not about hurt feelings or trading shots over the
wall.  This is about policy, a very necessary policy, and it's not
about to change.  If the user wants help, he can learn to ask us for
it nicely or not at all, and that's really all there is to it.

And that's enough on that subject.  We all have work to do, you
possibly more than most, so let's go do it.

					Jordan