Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 05:41:16 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Musings about tracking FreeBSD...

Mike Meyer wrote:

> system call. Rebuilding cdrecord solved the problem, but this
> illustrates that the recommended procedure is incomplete - you need to
> reinstall all ports/packages as well, right? Is there a tool that

Hardly ever, actually. A few ones might need reinstalling in some
cases, but most ports should continue to work just fine.

And the only reason I don't say that this particular instance of
cdrecord not working for you anymore probably won't ever happen
again is that saying this would automatically break cdrecord again.
;->

Was this, by any chance, a 2.2.x -> 3.x upgrade? This is a far
greater upgrade than a normal point release. In this case, cdrecord
could have been broken because we completely changed our SCSI
architecture. That is not something we do very often, I garantee.
:-)

> Of course, that leaves things that weren't install from /usr/ports out
> in the cold.
>
> Does anyone actually update all such things? Or do they do the more
> realistic thing, and just rebuild things that aren't from /usr/ports -
> or are, for that matter - when they break? Which would also be a
> perfectly reasonable attitude for /usr/src & make/make install
> vs. buildworkd/installworld, and which at least one person recommended
> to me in private mail.

Whatever it works for you. :-)

The reason "world" is necessary is that the interdependencies of the
build process are too complex for a simple "all" target. It *could*
be made to work, at the price making working in the source tree a
PITA.

But most working programs should *continue* to work, new world or
not. That's one reason for using shared libraries, even: so they can
get the newer version (with bug fixes) without needing
recompilation.

The particular case of cdrecord is unfortunate, because there isn't
a *standard* interface for it to use. If it used a *standard*
interface, it wouldn't get broken. And if it did even then, it would
be a bug in FreeBSD.

So, it comes down to one getting used enough to know your way
around. I think we are still way ahead than anyone else when it
comes down to building the whole system (or even parts of it :).

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Someone's trying to hack into our server."
	"Wow... How flattering!"
	"I know. There must be some mistake."