Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:20:24 -0800
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best Laptop to buy for Freebsd Without OS?

--JSkcQAAxhB1h8DcT

Quoth Brian Callahan on Thursday, 17 February 2011:
> > 3) Buy a machine with the base Win 7 Home installed, decline the licens=
e, and request a refund.
> > =A0 Be prepared to waste significant time on this, but it can be done.
> >
>=20
> IANAL, but I have been informed by several lawyers that you cannot do
> this. The Windows 7 EULA, when preinstalled on a machine, states that
> the agreement is between you and the company selling you the computer,
> and "By using the Software, you accept these terms. If you do not
> accept them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the
> manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy. You must
> comply with that policy, which might limit your rights or require you
> to return the entire system on which the software is installed."
>=20
> The major OEMs will say "OK, then you must return the computer," and
> you have no option but to comply. This is true for the USA.
>=20
> If you want no-OS laptops, try Puget Systems www.pugetsystems.com or
> PCs for Everyone www.pcsforeveryone.com
>=20
> HTH
>=20
> ~Brian
rg"

Those links both sport some pretty expensive prices.  My comparable ASUS
cost about half that, and came with Windows 7 installed (which I simply
erased).  Are those prices for real?

--=20
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterling@camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com