Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 98 19:00:00 PST
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'capriotti@geocities.com'" <capriotti@geocities.com>
Subject:   RE: /usr/src/release/sysinstall needs US. :-))

> >TCl vs. Java, any others for the melting pot?
> >
> >As far as extending any 'Java' client, all you need (and I think
someones
> >allready mentioned this) is a system similar to SNMP MIB's, i.e.
> directions to
> >the client where to put check boxes, text fields, what they should
contain
> >(labels), how to verify them (field masks etc.) - I'll freely admit
it's a
> >thin line between Java, TCL, cgi & someones bound to mention Active-X
<g>

> Again, if this thin line will cause any probl;em, let's just think
about
> "globalization".
>
> Building an universal-like client (i.e. Java) Will allow Free to have a
> plus in its favor, just like Novell did with NT. Novell has released
> administrative tools for NetWare to run under Windows NT, in a way of
> saying "OK, dolks, if you can't choose the workstation that you will
run on
> your company, at least be able to manage our operating system from
them.
> Keep the piece of junk on your desk, but at least be able to manage our
> operating system".

Hey, I resemble that remark!  :-)

The universal client is a rather nice idea.  Multiple clients are a nice
idea, too.  Not everyone has the same needs.  If I only want to
add users remotely, why add on all of the complexity of managing
cron or rc.conf remotely?

Multiple server-side modules is also worth considering.  I may
want to enable multiple "admins" to play with a samba config on my
site, but you may not since your box isn't behind a firewall and
enabling a security hole to be exploited through another one usually
isn't a good idea.  Of course, why enable samba configuration
if you don't have samba installed in the first place?

Feel free to s/samba/(Apache|NFS|bind|cron)/g

 -- Adam.

PS: is anyone else seeing a need to have different permissions on
  different remote config operations?