Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 01:23:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Adam David" <adam@veda.is>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fdisk c/h/s values

Installing a second disk of 4GB, I came across the following odd features of
fdisk. Perhaps some of it is intentional, and the rest is just plain weird.
Could someone in the know please explain?

        cylinders=8388608 heads=1 sectors/track=1 (1 blks/cyl)

Is this the fastest arrangement for modern disks? Apart from fooling the
BIOS and for other operating systems, is there any sensible reason for using
different translations than this one?

The default FreeBSD slice was generated as follows:

        sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
            start 1, size 8388608 (4096 Meg), flag 80
                beg: cyl 1/ sector 1/ head 0;
                end: cyl 0/ sector 0/ head 0

Why does the partition slice end on a cylinder previous to where it begins?
(One of the examples in the manpage wraps much worse than this)
Why does it end on a non-existent sector? (perhaps this one was operator error)
Am I correct in understanding that FreeBSD only looks at 'start' and 'size',
and the rest of the values are only used by BIOS and other operating sytems?
This is not clear from the manpage. (okay, I have the source...)

Thanks for any answers.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>