Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:59:38 GMT
From:      John Vinopal <banshee@abattoir.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/90821: Install cd fails on vectra 6/180 w/ scsi cdrom

>Number:         90821
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Install cd fails on vectra 6/180 w/ scsi cdrom
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
On an HP Vectra 6/180 (2 x pentium pro), with adaptec AIC-7880 scsi controller (HP 1.2S bios) + sony CDU-76S cdrom, and attempting to install on IDE drives, the cdrom boots and the install hangs at "CD Loader 1.2<cr>Building the boot loader arguments".  Drive light stays on, but there is no visible (audible) system activity.

Adaptec controller bios is set to use the cdrom as the boot device.  System bios is GG.06.13.

Potentially a related problem is that Win XP install cd also fails on boot, albeit with the error "CDBOOT: Memory overflow error".

Other bootable cds work fine: memtest, disk diags, etc.  My previous freebsd install (4.6.2) installed via floppies.  Freebsd 4.6.2 runs fine.  Memtest runs fine.