Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:51:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk (James Mansion)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

This is a stupid thread, but...

> > Will you accept Tannebaum as a reference, or is that too prejudicial?  8-).
>
> No, I will not accept Tannenbaum.  Deitel, others?
>
> Would *you* accept that the common language usage suggests that it is an
> OS, and that some of your criticisms of it are unfounded?

If you will accept common language usage suggests that "IRC is Cyberspace"
in the Gibsonian definition.

> Do you believe that real time environments that do not preemtively
> schedule and/or do not have full memory protection are not 'operating
> systems'?

I think full memory protection for processes is a requirement.  An RT
system, as long as it runs "drivers" instead of "processes" still
qualifies.  The issue is not when a protection domain is crossed,
but whether or not there are protections domains *to* cross.

> The list of systems currently accepted as operating systems but that
> will be ruled out by one or more of your criteria is quite long.

I know.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org