Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 06:06:15 -0500
From:      "Zach N. Heilig" <znh@thequest.net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PNP ids missing in sio.c

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 10:21:51AM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
> The pnp command should no longer be needed (crossed fingers) since the new
> code automatically detects devices and assigns resources to them.

What about the situation where:

pnp sound card (soundblaster awe64).
non pnp network card (irq 5, port 0x300, setup ability unknown -- even
                      windows can't properly find it without help)

Although I just replaced that network card last week (etherexpress
100+), and replaced the soundblaster (with a pci es1370 based card)
this might be an issue for others.  The BIOS put the sound card on irq
9, ports 0x220, 0x330, 0x388, 0x620/0xa20/0xe20, and drqs 1,7 ... (this
was fine), but the new pnp code insisted on changing the sound card to
irq 5, same ports, and drqs 1,5 even though the bios had configured it
somewhere else.

The network card used the 'ed' driver, so that device wasn't compiled in
the kernel right after the the switchover (but it still conflicted with
the sound card until I yanked it).

This is of course a special case, a cranky network card and a
non-compiling driver for it.  If the new pnp code avoids using resources
hard-wired to non-pnp isa devices (it may, I changed hardware before the
code was fixed), there shouldn't be any problems.  It was an excellent
excuse to boot that nic anyway.

--
Zach Heilig <znh@thequest.net>