Date:      Thu, 03 May 2007 15:17:24 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Laganakos Vassilis <elfshadow@physics.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burning Hot ASUS-6V6

Laganakos Vassilis wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 02:42:01PM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
>> Laganakos Vassilis wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with my laptop, it gets very hot (~70C) after operating
>>> for a while. I use FreeBSD-6-Stable, and it has this problem for a long
>>> time now. Actually I think it always had it, but I'm fed up with this.
>>>
>>> I tried various things I read in the mailing list, but I don;t know many
>>> things about how acpi handles the fans to control the temperature of the
>>> cpu, etc.
>> Try booting with acpi disabled.
>>

> Ok I'll try that, but I don't know how to tell the temperature aside
> from the hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature

Yes, but you should be able to use your hands to see if it is "burning
hot" or not based on disabling acpi or by enabling cpufreq (as below).

>>> My sysctl hw.thermal after the changes in hw.thermal.tz0._PSV and
>>> hw.thermal.user_override.
>>>
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 1
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 73.0C
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 90.0C
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 127.0C
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
>>>
>>> It seems that the device dowes not support setting passive cooling:
>>>
>>> celeborn# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling=1
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
>>> sysctl: hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: Operation not supported by device
>>>
>>> and it neither supports active:
>>>
>>> celeborn# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=1
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1 -> -1
>>>
>>> Kernel is already loaded with acpi.ko and asus_acpi.ko modules.
>>>
>>> Any clues how to tackle this? I was thinking if I could set the cpu to
>>> run at a lower frequency, when I'm not doing something "heavy" might
>>> help.
>> Load the cpufreq driver at boot, add this to /boot/loader.conf:
>> cpufreq_load="YES"
>>
>> Then run powerd in /etc/rc.conf:
>> powerd_enable="YES"
>>
>> --
> I set these out and reading how to use them.
>
> Thank you very much! I hope that the temperature goes down, because I
> feel that I'm frying my CPU (and hands)! Although ASUS-V6800V in known
> about the very high temperatures it reaches...
> So there is no way to do anything using the acpi driver in
> FreeBSD-6-Stable?

Don't know what you mean.  Those settings should work in 6.x as well as
7.x.  ACPI participates in that without any user interaction required.

--
Nate