Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:59:30 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Henry F. Marquardt" <hank@yerpso.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Jason Kasper <j_dot_kasper@www.usa.net>
Subject:   Re: Irda support

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 10:18:12PM -0500, Henry F. Marquardt wrote:
> I agree, this is a 'lost' technology, a solution in search of a problem.
> Even the palm crowd doesn't use it much that I've seen - I remember some of
> the early marketing hype there with people swapping IR business cards - I
> don't think I've ever seen anyone do that

Do it all the time.

> and I don't think I could figure
> out how in any reasonable amount of time with mine - it'd be quicker to
> scribble on a napkin.

Being able to sync my Palm pilot with my Vaio using IR would be *very* nice.
One less set of cables to have to carry around with me.

> Same with my laptop, it was configured as com2 and as far as I was concerned
> just taking up IRQ space - I turned it off when I put FBSD on there.
> Doesn't mean you should play with it, but what are you going to *use* it
> for?

There are a bunch of mobile phones out here with built in modems.  Point
the phone at the computer and suddenly (in Windows) you've got a modem
attached to COM2 (or whatever) -- again, without needing the additional
cabling.  This is a good thing.