Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:48:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Tomas Pluskal <plusik@pohoda.cz>
To:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   seeking help to rewrite the msdos filesystem

Hello,

I believe that everybody here knows about the "slow msdosfs" problem, that
is AFAIK caused by implementation without clustering.
For me this is very annoying, because I use digital camera, and ZIP drive,
and FAT on both of them. Speed is about 10 times lower than it could be..
I would like to rewrite the msdosfs driver to use clustering (in fact, I
have chosen it as school project, so I have to do it anyway :).

Is there anybody, who could spend few minutes and write me some
information about how these filesystems are implemented, what should I
read first, and what steps to follow to implement clustering ?
I am ready to do the hard work :)

Thanks

Tomas Pluskal