Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 18:11:07 -0600
From:      Dan MacMillan <flowers@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world : did it fail?

Hi.

I just ran the make world procedure on a freshly installed FreeBSD system.
After dropping to single user mode, I ran:

cd /usr/src
script /root/mw/mw-200405111310.out
make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=GOLLUM && make installkernel
KERNCONF=GOLLUM && reboot

I do things this way because I don't want to babysit the machine waiting to
proceed to the next step.  When I heard the computer reboot (it's sitting
right next to me), I logged in and ran:

tail /root/mw.out

To see if anything untoward had happened.  The result looks like this:

> tail /root/mw/mw-200405111310.out
install -o root -g wheel -m 555   safe.ko /boot/kernel
===> sbni
install -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_sbni.ko /boot/kernel
===> scsi_low
install -o root -g wheel -m 555   scsi_low.ko /boot/kernel
===> smbfs
install -o root -g wheel -m 555   smbfs.ko /boot/kernel
===> sound
===> sound/pcm
install -o root -g wheel -m 555   snd_>

Doesn't look so good, does it?  Now I'm not sure if it rebooted because of
the '&& reboot' or because it ran into some terrible no good awful bad
problem.  I checked the timestamps on all the files in /boot/kernel and they
all look good (all .ko files dated today within 1 minute of each other, the
kernel a few minutes older).  The number of files in /boot/kernel matches
the number in /boot/kernel.old.  I ran (from my home directory):

ls /boot/kernel > kernel
ls /boot/kernel.old > kernel.old
diff kernel kernel.old

And there are no differences.

uname -a now reports 5.2.1-RELEASE-p6.

I'm thinking that probably what happened is that the machine rebooted
without the remaining script output being flushed to disk.  Is there any way
to tell for sure?  And should this even be possible?  I've followed this
technique on my home machines several times and never got the script output
truncated like this.

I'm now cursing myself for putting the && reboot on there.  I can re-run the
make world procedure, but unless I figure out for sure what happened here
I'm afraid it's indicative of a more significant problem.

Thanks in advance.

--
Danny MacMillan