Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:35:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad@his.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT SmartRAID IV w/ FreeBSD...

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	Anyway, we already have an existing anonymous ftp server, but my
> boss wants me to install a bigger/better/faster model.  I'm not all that
> familiar with how the existing server is set up, but I figured I couldn't
> go too wrong by paying some attention to how wcarchive.cdrom.com is
> configured, or by choosing a RAID solution that is already supported in
> FreeBSD.
>
> 	Since I generally prefer hardware RAID over software
> implementations, and since DPT was explicitly mentioned in the release
> notes, I figured I'd start there.  Unfortunately, I don't know exactly
> which models of DPT RAID controllers are supported under FreeBSD 2.2.7 (or
> FreeBSD 3.0), nor do I know if the DPT Storage Manager could somehow be
> run under FreeBSD.

The dpt(4) man page says:

The dpt driver provides support for the DPT Smart Cache Plus, Smart Cache
     III, Smart Raid III, Smart Cache IV, and Smart RAID IV families of
     procucts.

The Storage Manager will not run under FreeBSD, so keep your DOS boot
floppy handy. :-(

> 	What about price/performance/reliability comparison with software
> RAID solutions for FreeBSD (if any exist)?
>

> 	Finally, although I've seen the configuration note for
> wcarchive.cdrom.com, I don't think it mentioned explicitly which RAID
> solution they were using -- anyone here happen to know?

In ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/ there's a doc describing the hardware
layout.  wcarchive is super-slow in responding right now or I'd have the
full url.

Doug White