Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:26:11 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
Cc:        dan@wolf.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI WinModem's

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 12:23:42PM -0500, Richard Cownie wrote:

> So you're saying it's difficult to make a WinModem driver that
> works well.  But is it impossible ?  Or have the WinModem people
> actually done their homework and made a good job of it ?  I tend

There is a discussion in a local newsgroup at my former school
regarding quality of dialup connections.  It is starting to appear
that the quality of connections (connection speed and spontaneous
hangups) is worse for Winmodems than for regular modems.  I
wouldn't take this conclusion as gospel yet, but I also wouldn't
reject it out of hand.  (It's sort of amusing to see the
Winmodem-using population whining about how crappy the dialups
are, and the Unix population responding with "Huh?  My connections
are rock-solid.")

Besides the issue of whether they are fundamentally broken even
in Windows, there is the issue that the manufacturers do not publish
information that would be necessary to support them in other operating
systems, as far as I know.  Calling the lack of support a "deficiency
in FreeBSD" is hardly fair under the circumstances.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *