Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:54:56 -0700 (PWT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Stefan Huerter <maulwurf@subloch.medicusnet.de>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i/o error with larger QIC

> >> Do you remember what blocksize you *wrote* these tapes with? If you
> >> do, set the blocksize for the drive fixed  at that size and try
> >> read with the tar command (setting to the blocksize you used to
> >> write the tape). I really wish I had manuals for this drive so I
> >> could try and figure what they're trying to do.
> >
> >I made a few tests before I get this tip from Joerg, so I tried to use tar
> >with the blocksize of 10240bytes, but this won't work. I get only I/O
> >errors...
>
> "10240bytes"?

No, I mean 10240- but now that I've understood that variable emulation
really *is* being done by newer QIC drives the attempts to set to fixed
mode is pointless (personally, I think that this emulated variable mode is
a grotesque design botch if (Reads in Variable mode of N-Kbytes) don't
match (Reads in Fixed mode with blocksize at N-Kbytes), which is the
impression I'm gathering from what people have said...).

> Do you mean 1024 bytes?  If 'mt blocksize 0' doesn't work, then using
> 'mt blocksize 1024' should work.  The normal block size for these tapes
> is 1024 bytes.  It's really silly to use anything else for QIC525.  But
> the current tape driver doesn't know that... yet.

Yes.

I have a TANDBERG SLR-5 on order. I'm tired of screwing around with this.
It arrives the middle of next week. Then I'll sit down and try and handle
QIC drives more sensibly.

What I may end up having to do is that it may be impossible to
automatically correctly infer QIC behaviours without some hint from the
user- and I don't want to get into a constant quirk game, so what would be
people feel about a 'mt datamodel' type of command?

Frankly, the big worry spot in a lot of this has been the toe stubbing
around trying to do 2FM at EOT. Some drives support it, some drives don't.
A lot of *early* QIC drives don't, but I'll have to admit that my QIC
knowledge isn't what it should be- I really didn't keep up with QIC
because most of the drives I've seen over the last 10 years have been DAT
&& Exabyte and other high end drives. Now that I'm getting a new high end
QIC drive and I've already gotten an newer HP Travan-like drive (the T20)
perhaps I might be able to produce something a little more sane for those
of you out there that use these units. At any rate, if we could just
accept a 1FM at EOT model with 2FM @EOT as the exception (solely for
drives that cannot report early warning (1/2" reel drives) a *lot* of the
problems would go away.

-matt