Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 22:19:05 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TP560C Video Revisited

> I now have my TP560C working at 800x600 on the external monitor.  For the
> record, the modelines are:

Why was it so hard?  Didn't XF86Setup give you a working VESA modeline
straight up?

> --> And this works pretty well.  What I WANT to be able to do, though, is
> run the external monitor in 1024x768.  No luck yet!  If anyone has a
> modeline for that, I'd sure be grateful.

Again, XF86Setup should be able to give you one of these.

> In other news, I'm still having network woes.  My laptops will run for a
> while here, then the network just hangs.  Firing off a "ifconfig ep0 up"
> always sets things right, but I don't understand what the problem is.

You still haven't answered regarding which 589s you're using and having
trouble with.  Does the light on the pod keep working?  Have you tried
swapping to see if its a card or system problem?

> On
> another box here, I have the following line:
>
>       ifconfig_le0="inet my.ip.addr -trailers netmask=255.255.248.0"
>

> This is an older vintage of from early spring.  I think.  Anyway, I don't
> understand networks.  Two things in particular, I'm not sure what
> "-trailers" really means, and I wonderif I should add a
> "broadcast=xx.yy.zz.qq" thingy to this as well.  "-trailers" also doesn't
> work on my laptop and I can't find it documented anywhere!

Ethernet trailers are dinosaur droppings, and support for them was
removed some time back.  If you have an interface address and netmask
the broadcast address can be automatically calculated; you'd only want
to change it if you're talking to older Sun (eg.) systems.

mike