Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2013 11:29:30 +0400 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs -> ufs rsync: livelock in wdrain state

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> > Now, during last rsync, the process is stuck as

[snip]

> > root@moose:/ar# sync
> > load: 0.00  cmd: sync 67229 [wdrain] 468.17r 0.00u 0.00s 0% 596k
> >
> > Any hints? Quick searching throug freebsd mailing lists and/or open PRs does
> > not reveal much.
> >

> Are there any kernel messages about the disk system ?
>
> The wdrain means that the amount of the dirty buffers accumulated exceeds
> the allowed maximum. The transient 'wdrain' state is normal on a machine
> doing lot of writes to a filesystem using buffer cache, say UFS. Failure
> to clean the dirty buffers is usually related to the disk i/o stalling.
>
> It cannot be denied that a bug could cause stuck 'wdrain' state, but
> in the last five or so years all the cases I investigated were due to
> disks.

Yes, it seems so:

root@moose:~# camcontrol devlist
load: 0.03  cmd: camcontrol 49735 [devfs] 2.68r 0.00u 0.00s 0% 820k

and then machine is in well known "hardly alive" state: TCP connects
established, process switching does not go.

Will investigate the hardware, thank you.

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck@FreeBSD.org ]