Date:      Sun, 23 May 2010 13:16:02 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless Booting Can't Set /var in mfs larger than 4MB

On 5/23/10, Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a diskless workstation booting nicely but for some reason I cannot
> get the /var directory to set larger than 4MB. The docs I read said edit
> /pxeroot/conf/base/etc/fstab like this:
>
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options               Dump
>  Pass#
> md         /var                       mfs          -s=30m,rw        0
>       0
> md                              /tmp                      mfs
>  -s=30m,rw        0             0
> proc                         /proc                     procfs
> rw               0             0
>
> When I do this the /tmp directory sets up in mds at 30MB in size. But /var
> always comes up at only 4MB in size. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the
> size of /var in a diskless setup?

have you tried the rc.conf variants?

varmfs="AUTO"           # Set to YES to always create an mfs /var, NO to never
varsize="32m"           # Size of mfs /var if created
varmfs_flags="-S"       # Extra mount options for the mfs /var
populate_var="AUTO"     # Set to YES to always (re)populate /var, NO to never
cleanvar_enable="YES"   # Clean the /var directory

also has a tmp set of variables, too