Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:39:16 +0100
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@polytechnic.edu.na>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        tim@iafrica.com.na, David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet MTUs > 1500?

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > An Ethernet frame with vlan tagging does _not_ have an extra header etc,
>
> however you see it, it's the original bits plus some extra bits!
>
> > When a tagged packet must be sent out ports that are not tagged for that
> > vlan, the reverse process occures. The tagged header is removed, and
> > replaced with a new one. Obviously new CRC values are generated each
>
> i am not sure about this one: my understandinbg reading the
> spec (18months ago) was that tagged packets only go out on trunk
> interfaces (unmodified) or on interfaces tagged for that VLAN (this
> time they are untagged).

Sorry I was not clear, the tagged header is replaced with an untagged
one.

> > If the switch does some thing strange, like using different vlan tag
> > values for the same vlan on different interfaces, then it would have to
> > change the tag value, and recalculate the CRC. This is too complex a
>
> Why are you so worried by the CRC, which is compuited on the fly
> by the interface as bits are sent on the wire ?

I almost said nothing about the CRC, but since the confusion seemed to
be around encapsulation, which normally takes an entire packet or frame,
and encapsulates it in a new packet or frame, that is typically - new
header - original packet or frame - new CRC -, therefor I mentioned it.

> > > I do know how my FreeBSD-based
> > > vlan bridge behaves -- it does multiple encaps, but then if a
> > > packet becomes too large it is silently dropped by the interface.
> >
> > If it encapsulates the the original frame including the original headers
> > in a new ethernet frame, then it is doing it wrong, and can not be
> > expected to interoperate with a bridge that does it right. Your frames
>
> sorry i used the wrong terminology -- i said "encapsulate/decapsulate" but
> meant "tag/untag" -- and it did interoperate with a real VLAN bridge (802.1Q)

I did not mean to be argumentative, only that it be clear that we are
only talking about 4 extra bytes, and that it would be in conformance to
the standards, which someone seemed to disagree with on a previous such
thrread on a FreeBSD list. It is important to me that this works
properly, but my employer will insist that we move to Linux, if I have
to patch the system after every upgrade.

Tim.