Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 05:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Robin S. Socha" <lart@socha.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFCE Window Manager

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
:Robin S. Socha said on Jun  6, 2000 at 06:02:26:

:> Change your viewpoint: what does KDE give you? What is the added value
:> of running KDE over twm? You get a bloated WM, a sucky Windos emulation,
:> loads of crappy toy^Hols, random crashes (yes, I have rarely seen KDE
:> crash, yes, I have seen loads of really, really bad apps using QT). So
:> where's the added value?

:I don't know KDE 1.1.x, but there's no way I'd call 1.0 "bloated".  It
:has a lot of stuff which Windows doesn't, and seems to owe more to CDE
:than to Windows. But you can leave out what you don't want, just edit
:the startkde script.  I just don't get this "KDE is like windows" thing at
:all.  The decorations, the panel, and the apps are nothing like
:windows, or no more like windows than lots of other unix things. In
:fact the start button and task bar look like the only common things
:with windows to me, and even they look different.  And it's nice of
:you to blame KDE for bad QT programs.

CDE looks alot like the WPS in OS/2 Warp.  Not having used KDE, but
assuming it's a clone of CDE (as that was a stated design goal IIRC), I
can only assume it also has an OS/2ish look and feel.

Jamie Bowden

--

"Of course, that's sort of like asking how other than Marketing,
Microsoft is different from any other software company..."