Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 15:41:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make this a relese coordinator decision (was Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued)

> > 	b) people like me, who have only one machine, usually
> > 	   run the bleeding edge,
>
>   I don't believe this is true.  I believe true number of bleeding edge
> users is small.  Unless your are a developer, there is little benefit.
> Other than SMP, what is in current that would tempt people to use it?

95% of the FreeBSD developers doing bug fixes.  What percentage
of these developers are soing the same for 2.x?

>   People with only one machine are not normally technically advanced to
> run current, because they don't have the resources to develop that
> experience.

This has to do with the rules used to check things into the source
tree and to replicate the source tree, nier of which enforce any
buildability.

It also has to do with the tools; there is no graceful way one can
type "make" and upgrade their system reliably.  Specifically, there
are issues with installed vs. run components; the libraries, the
assemblers, the compiler, the ld.so, and the crt0 are main examples;
look at the pain in the ass it was for the new mount system call,
which required a new libc which required a new assembler for the
updated assembly code for the thread call syntax changes which
required ...

>   Key point here.  Basically no one can stop developers from making
> current incompatible with stable.  Basically, if current developers agree
> not to break compatibility, the problem goes away.

This is not an answer.  Making -current more stable (not more -stable)
is a better try at an answer.  It's not perfect, either.  Tools would
fill in the gaps, so at least the transitions across compatability
boundries would be as painless as possible.

FreeBSD should not be an Intel processor or a Microsoft OS: let
others put the "backward" in "backward compatible".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.