Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:47:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1777 Protection

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 jacks@sage-american.com wrote:

> Early setup of a BSD box with Pine, when exiting Pine, I get a warning
> about "vunerable /var/mail should have 1777 protection"... I assume that
> means a chmod needed...? But, what is 1777...?

from the chmod (1) man page:

     1000 (the sticky bit) When set on a directory, unprivileged
          users can delete and rename only those files in the direc-
          tory that are owned by them, regardless of the permissions
          on the directory.  Under FreeBSD, the sticky bit is ignored
          for executable files and may only be set for directories

the 777 sets the directory to having full "read, write, and
execute" permissions for the directory for everyone on the machine.

hope this helps a little,

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan