Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 11:16:04 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: bin/407: Odd tset -I behaviour, termcap says xterm kb=^H

In article <9505151809.AA10141@cs.weber.edu> terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) writes:
   Most X terminals interpret this as a request to send an ASCII Backspace
   character (^H, 0x08) to the slave side of the PTY they are using.

The Tektronics X terminals here send ^? and have the key most people talk
about as "Backspace" labelled with left-arrow.  Ditto for all workstations
here, though they are mostly Suns or Linux PC's.

   I would say that your console is configured incorrectly by default
   to send and ASCII 0x7f (delete, ^?) instead of an ASCII backspace for
   your key labelled "Backspace", and that the default tty modes for

I don't care about the damn labels, but the function of the keys.  I expect
the big key above enter/return/whatever to erase the previously typed
character, and thus it needs to send ^? unless ANSI has changed its mind (I
have only seen a quote from the standard, though).  I'm willing to pay for
related standards from ANSI for FreeBSD group so that we can get rid of
this confusion.  There are at least three standards related to ASCII, X3.4,
X3.41 and X3.32, I don't know which one is the one which specifies the
correct usage but I can pay them all, it should be less than $200 in total
including shipping, probably less, $100-$150.  Which snail address I should
order them to in case ANSI agrees to ship them directly even when order
comes from abroad?

   The Telnet and Rlogin arguments don't hold water here because the
   erase character is a negotiated option.

rlogin doesn't negotiate this, just the terminal type (but rlogin
"protocol" is high in brokeness scale anyway).  Telnet we don't use much as
it keeps asking stupid passwords sent as cleartext over network.  rlogin
will be replaced RSN by a better method :)

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN