Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 02:35:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Kramer-James@MSHA.gov
Subject:   Re: Please Help - Advise on New system

Kramer James M. writes:

> I need to purchase a new computer to run FreeBSD.  I was going to
> buy a bare bones with an ASUS A7A-266 with 256Mb DDR and an AMD

Make sure you get the AMD chipset, especially the north bridge chip.
VIA chips corrupt your data when pushed too hard. This problem is
seen in any app or OS with heavy Athlon optimization. FreeBSD might
not do that today, but all it takes is one commit of an optimized
bzero() and you start crashing.

(current victims: Windows Photoshop and Linux w/ K7 optimizations)