Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:28:13 -0400
From:      "Joseph Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        "Odhiambo Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>, "FBSD-Q" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <kweheria@iconnect.co.ke>
Subject:   Re: Isn't it true?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Odhiambo Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>
To: "FBSD-Q" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <kweheria@iconnect.co.ke>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 11:10
Subject: Isn't it true?

> Such a dumb subject line but isn't it true that nobody in the
> knowledge-rich FreeBSD world has ever gone out of their 'mind' (I mean
> their way) and done something like substituting a FreeBSD box for a Cisco
> router like this:
>                              Telco Link               _____
>   LAN<-->[____]----->[...]================[...]----->|_____|<----->LAN
>          FreeBSD     Mainstreet          Mainstreet   Cisco
>           Box         2701                 2701       2522
>

> If someone _ever_ tried it, I request to share in their feat ;-)

Based on this diagram, it looks like you are running a telco link from 2701
Mainstreet to 2701 Mainstreet.
I don't see the point of that really, but I'm sure telco would be happy to
install it for you.

As far as using a FreeBSD box to interface a T1 or something, certainly it
can be done.  Search around the lists for the hardware to support it.

I personaly favor a Cisco or other hardware router for mission critical
links (simply due to less moving parts), but a FreeBSD box should be able to
do it just fine.  I haven't done it myself, but I have setup many ethernet
to ethernet freebsd routers (for firewalling or nat)