Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:32:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source code layout?

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> I personally think we should go with a src tree layout closer to that of
> NetBSD...

Woohoo!  sys/arch/{i386,alpha,sparc,foo} ?

Keep in mind that NetBSD needs some further work in their tree layout but
is closer than what FreeBSD has.

> but I'm also working on rewriting the bus/device system so that ALL
> devices use the EXACT same interface to the bus... this will allow us to
> write a single device driver for ns8390 parts, and simply write a detect
> routine around it, and we get complete support for all types of busses..
> this of course will mean a rewrite of all the current device drivers
> which is going to be a big job...

Cool.  Let me clear my queue and I'll do what I can to help.

> this is also going to allow a multitude of other things that will hinge
> on kld... such as complete dynamic device drivers...

Indeed, I really would like to see a kernel with only the probe routines
compiled in and linked into discardable ELF sections.

(and the rest of the stuff that this sort of thing implies.)

> I haven't made much progress, but a spec is at
> http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html...  this
> isn't a final, but it will be similar to what you see...

Cool.

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/