Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:08:38 +0600
From:      "Viktor A. Fomichev" <vfom@sice.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Unexpected resolver behaviour in 4.1-RELEASE

Hi!

It seems, a bug exist in resolver implementation since 4.1.
I have a small private network with internal DNS. (no relations with
internet).
Name server is 192.168.10.130. Domain name is my.domain.com

At host bsd.my.domain.com :

No local named daemon.
No ipv6 in kernel.
No lkm's. (All i need compiled in kernel. Other moduler removed.)

/etc/resolv.conf
        #
	nameserver 192.168.10.130
	#
/etc/host.conf
	#
	hosts
	bind
	#
/etc/hosts
        #
	127.0.0.1	locahost
	192.168.10.205	bsd.my.domain.com bsd
	192.168.10.130  ns.my.domain.com ns
	#

% uname -a
FreeBSD bsd.my.domain.com 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #1: Thu Oct 26
00:54:45 NOVST 2000
root@bsd.my.domain.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MY_HOST  i386

% nslookup somehost
Server:  ns.my.domain.com
Address:  192.168.10.130

Name:    somehost.my.domain.com
Address:  192.168.10.110

%ping somehost
ping: cannot resolve somehost: Unknown host

%

Using ethereal i intecept DNS traffic generated by above
mentioned commands.
Host send identical requests for the first and second commands.
NS server send identical reply for the first and second DNS requests!
(only transaction IDs different)

Whats the matter?

The same problem exists in 4.1.1-RELEASE
The same problem was detected while using PERL's gethostbyname.

By.