Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:20:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Anderson <ciscoaix@yahoo.com>
To:        Jose Borquez <bsdlists@sbcglobal.net>, FreeBSD Questions group <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't login via SSH

--- Jose Borquez <bsdlists@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I attempt to establish an ssh connection to a remote
> server and I get
> the following error:
> "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by
> remote host"
>
> I have checked the hosts.allow file and Everything
> is allowed by
> default.  What else can I check?
> Thanks in advance,
Jose,
hosts.allow is only half the story. Check your
hosts.deny. I am currently working on a script that
futzes with the hosts.deny file and occasionally
something happens in the file. I've tested and tested
and everytime I remove a particular line from
hosts.deny all is well. Go figure.

Not sure if your hosts.deny file has stuff in it, but
if it does make a backup of it then empty it out. You
should be able to connect. If you can connect then add
one line at a time to your hosts.deny then try
establishing a newly authenticated session  until you
can't. Oddly one of two things, you'll either get
blocked immediately or all works and at some later
time suddenly you can't connect.

Hope that helps in some way.

~Mr. Anderson