Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:56:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

> From: Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>
> Date: Sun 14 Jul, 2002
> Subject: Re: Package system flaws?

> Mark Valentine wrote:
> >   1. Packages install to /usr/local by default;
>
> Yes, and it's incredibly likely that they always will.

Unfortunately there are too many people who don't seem to see the
bigger picture.  :-(

> First, you can set PREFIX to be something else in your
> /etc/make.conf file,

Doesn't work for packages, only ports.

Hence my interest in the recent discussion of making install-time
relocation work.

> Second, you can set a different directory to be your "really
> local" directory, and set your "long-standing (since 4.2BSD)
> cross-platform administrative policies" any way you want.

Right, change the world because of a single OS vendor's mistake.

I then have to deal with conflicts with systems and software which
_want_ you to use /usr/local for this purpose.

I hate kludges and inconsistencies.  My workaround to date has been
to steer clear of FreeBSD packages (and while I was at it I avoided
ports too, since if I'm already building from source I may as well
retain my own policies).  Unfortunately, it would be unreasonable
for me to suggest my clients do the same, so I am forced to support
a different strategy (in this case, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em
- everything in /usr/local is a package, and I now have an additional
[non-standard] place where local policy is maintained).

Maybe one day I'll get used to it enough to migrate my main server.

> Asking to
> change the default is totally non-productive at this stage of the game.

I'm an idealist who believes that mistakes can usually be corrected, given
a bit of care with the transition.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses