Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 09:34:39 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on ISP services Please.

There's been some excellent advice from others, so I'm not going to
repeat it all, just add to it:

Jorge Biquez wrote:
> - How to restrict the access of FTP to only the specified directory of the
> user. And that they can not see other users directories.

Look in "man ftpd" for the section on /etc/ftpchroot Basically, any user
name you put in this file will be restricted to their home directory.
But read the man page.

> - How to implement quotas with FTP so users only can have a limit on space.

Use the FreeBSD disk quota system. "man quota" to start reading. I
believe there are sections in the handbook as well.

> - How to avoid users have access to telnet services.

1. Disable telnet in /etc/inetd.conf
2. Use ssh instead
3. Change shells to "nologin" for users you don't want to be able to
ssh.

> - How to avoid that a script of a user can consume lot of resources and
> could crash the machine.

Use login classes. "man login.conf" is a good place to start reading,
also the applicable section of the handbook.

> Mail servers are run on other machine as well as DNS.
> What other important points am I missing?

Firewalling, maybe (you may or may not need it)
Also, consider running a proxy, such as Squid. It's not a security
issue, but it will improve performance.

-Bill