Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:59:15 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jimmy Hjelm <jimbo99@writeme.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PS/2 Mouse

On 11/01 20:50, Jimmy Hjelm wrote:

> I use FreeBSD 3.3.  Everything works fine, but I can't use a PS/2  mouse.

Well, we should be able to sort this one out in a jiffy.  :-)

> I have kernel support for it, and it shows up as psm0 - device ID 0 at boot
> if plugged in, and if not plugged in FreeBSD detects that and says "not
> found".

That's good.

> However, neither sysmouse nor mouse in X will work.

That's not good.  I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'sysmouse'
won't work.  sysmouse(4) is a driver module -- not an executable program.  I
think you meant to say 'moused' doesn't work, so we'll work on that  :-)

What's in your /etc/rc.conf file?  Here's what's in mine regarding mice:

  moused_enable="YES"
  moused_type="auto"
  moused_port="/dev/psm0"

> If I use a serial mouse they both work fine.  My PS/2 mouse used to work with
> previous versions of FreeBSD.

Hrmm very strange.  Work through 'man moused' (an excellent manual page) and
see how you get on.  It's my guess that if you have 'auto' as I do above, you
may have to change it for some other value -- the mouse type is not being
explicitly probed.

Or, and this is more likely, your devices are messed up.

What is the output of

  ls -l /dev/psm0 /dev/sysmouse /dev/mouse

?

best;

gjvc

--