Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 10:19:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@sidwell.edu>
To:        PageFault <daredevl@america.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation troubles

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, PageFault wrote:

> I am trying to do a PPP install of FreeBSD and I am having troubles.  I
> enter all the important information (IP, gateways, etc.) but as soon as I
> connect and enter my password, it begins PPP.  About 15 seconds later it
> just drops carrier.

I had to try a number of things to try and get my line stable enough to
do a complete installation -- the terminal server I connect to tends to
time me out, etc.  My local modem also seemed to like disconnecting
during the instllation, but works fine now for a ppp line
post-installation.  Using the ppp command..  Here are some things to try:

Before you dial: AT&D0
Hopefuly this disables DTR checking on the modem for hanging up -- I
think DTR may slip sometimes during isntallation, as this lengthened my
possible connect time to 8 hours or something.  Also in ppp, try..

set timeout 0

To disable a timeout on the line -- sometimes while decompressing, the
isntallation program doesn't touch the line, so the ppp program
apparently times out the connection.

Both of these helped me, but my system may just be really odd.  As it is,
I lose a ppp connection after 6-8 hours of installation has passed anyway
-- but at least it's not the 30 minutes it was before.

Robert Watson   rwatson@sidwell.edu   http://www.sidwell.edu/~rwatson/
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.