Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 19:44:35 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.org, ru@FreeBSD.org, audit@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Integrating new scrshot(1) utility into vidcontrol(1) [patch for review]

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 02:42:28AM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Ok, as it was agreed I've integrated scrshot(1) into
> vidcontrol(1)=20

Any opinions on selecting this option by default if vidcontrol is
invoked as scrshot?

> and also added ability to dump contents
> of display buffer in plain text format, so you don't
> even need a special utility to see what's going on
> on a console of display-less machine. :-)

Isn't that what watch(8) is for?

[...]

> +	if (mode =3D=3D DUMP_RAW) {
> +		printf("SCRSHOT_%c%c%c%c", DUMP_FMT_REV, 2,
> +		       shot.xsize, shot.ysize);
> +		fflush(stdout);

You've duplicated a buf of mine, "SCRSHOT_" should probably be #define.

[...]

> +			/* Trim trailing spaces */
> +			do {
> +				line[x--] =3D '\0';
> +			} while (line[x] =3D=3D ' ' && x !=3D 0);

I'm not sure that's necessary (nor is the trimming of notionally
unprintable characters).  The point was to get an accurate dump of the
video buffer contents.

We've already had requests to automatically convert the 8 bit line
drawing characters in to 7 bit ones (which shot2txt now does).  I'd
prefer to see all the post-processing done outside of vidcontrol,
otherwise you're on a slope in terms of what functionality is deemed
acceptable for vidcontrol vs. what functionality has to be put in
another utility.

Apart from those quibbles, great.  Thanks for doing the work.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF--