Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:03:23 +0100
From:      "Stefano Spinucci" <virgo977virgo@gmail.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problems of FreeBSD 7 beta 2 on Dell D610 (multiboot con solaris, linux, winxp)

On Nov 29, 2007 6:24 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.org> wrote:
> > > ..
> > >
> > > Safe mode (Hit Key 3 after it asks for boot floppy 2nd time
> > >     (Im using floppy as my cd drive doesnt like my cd-rw media, just cd-r)
> > > This sets hw.ata.ata_dma to 0, with this my laptop is now in middle
> > > of a minimal install, reading distrib via a pcmcia ep0 ethernet.
> >
> > Although that enables disk writes, Pcmcia ep0 runs slow, 23KB/s, timing
> > out & install has died repeatedly.  I tried reducing commands used in
> >       bootsafekey of /sys/boot/forth/beastie.4th:
> >       http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#bootsafekey
> > By avoiding `3' & just using
> >       set hw.ata.ata_dma
> >       boot
> > Still its a slow 23K. Still ep0 dies. Install fails.
>
> 7.0-BETA3 on Digital HiHote Ultra 2000 could not install via pcmcia ep0.
> I minimal installed from cdrom,
> Booted multiuser with 3 = Safe Boot,
> Edited /boot/loader.conf from
>         hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
>         # hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
>         hw.ata.ata_dma=0
> Rebooted.
> Cdrom sysinstall-ed all distribution sets (except essential bin
> & kernels) for a full native platform, & now making /usr/src/
> It can mount the 5.1 partition & 5.1 can mount the 7.0,
> so Stefano, do try hw.ata.ata_dma=0
>
> Pcmcia ep0 ethernet remains unusable, ping 1.5 to 28 seconds & drop outs,
> but that's an issue I'll pursue/ report on mobile@freebsd.org.
>
> --
> Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
>         Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.

I downloaded FreeBSD beta 4 and I did some tests.

I booted with 3... no success

I booted with 6 and set manually  hw.ata.ata_dma=0... no success

looking at boot messages I see many errors on Ad0 as follows:

the first error message
Ad0: FAILURE - READ STATUS=59 <READY,DSC,DQR,ERROR> error=4 <ABORTED>
LBA=117210237

the following errors there are similar, with some little differences
- the number after LBA
- READ becomes READ_MUL
- FAILURE becomes TIMEOUT

after all those errors the installation starts, I always see the
geometry error, the geometry is correctly recognized, the disk is
shown empty and, because I can't erase the full hd destroying other os
installed, I'm not able to install Freebsd.

last version of linux, solaris, opensolaris and windows xp installed
without problems, but with FreeBSD I have no luck.

thanks to those who helped me, but I'm still waiting for some other
ideas to have my partition recognized...

bye

---
Stefano Spinucci