Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 16:53:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        gmann@itw.com (Glen W Mann)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions), chat@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP startup difficulties

Glen W Mann writes:

>> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
>> GWMANN@ccmail.monsanto.com writes:
>>>
>>>      Hello all.
>>>
>>>      We are converting from IPX and NETBluey to TCP/IP.  So far we have an
>>>      NT server running TCP/IP with one connected NT client (works fine).
>>>      However, we have no router, nor a DNS (we are not yet connected to the
>>>      net).
>>>
>>>      My FreeBSD box is P/75 32MB RAM, with 3C509 NIC at 340/IRQ 10.  On
>>>      boot FreeBSD finds the NIC no problem, and does not pause on the add
>>>      gateway or sendmail startups, "ifconfig -a" shows the following:
>> kachunk]
>> I'd guess that you have the board set up wrong.  Wrong port, perhaps?
>> Check the man page for ep:
>>
>>      The default port to use is the BNC. To choose an alternate port, use the
>>      following flag combinations with ifconfig(8) or in your /etc/hostname.ep?
>>      file.
>>
>>      -link0                Use the BNC port (default).
>>
>>       link0 -link1         Use the AUI port.
>>
>>       link0  link1         Use the UTP port.
>>

> Thank you doctor.  Right problem, though I couldn't find man or apropos
> anything for ep.  (I'm still running 2.1.0 that could be why.)

Hmmm.  I thought it was there, too.  This is man section 4, of
course.  I'm running 3.0-CURRENT.

> In man ifconfig, links are stated to be to enable or disable special
> link processing for SLIP etc.  Quite vague = I'm lost.

Yes, it's less than satisfactory.  The problem is, ifconfig doesn't
know anything about the interfaces: it just sets flag bits (that's why
they have such noncomittal names as link0 and link1).  As a result, it
can't tell you what each individual interface does, though I suppose
it should point you to the individual interface man pages.  I suppose
we should do something about that....

> I also don't have a /etc/hostname.ep? file.

You don't need one.  My recollection is that this is a Sunism.

> I got the card to work by using the 3c5x9cfg.exe DOS program and
> changing the interface type (?from memory) from automatic to TP
> (R45).  In /etc/sysconfig removed all the link stuff from
> ifconfig_ep0.

That'll do it.

> Thanks for all the answers.

You're welcome.

> Now on to my hangover ehhh..

Wrong mailing list.  We did that one on freebsd-chat the other day.
The bottom line, thanks to Terry Lambert (care: not a drinker):

> Note: I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice.
>
> Meclizine Hcl, 25mg
>
> It's an over-the-counter motion sickness remedy.  May cause drowsiness
> in some people.  Full relief in about half an hour.
>
> Alternately, take two asprin with half a quart of water before going
> to sleep.

Greg