Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:26:35 -0700
From:      Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCI pnp Modem

I'm having a pretty bad time trying to get a pnp modem to work
with freebsd 4.0.  This is my second day working on getting it
up and I now know many ways that is doesn't work.. but I could
really use some pointers.

Right now I am operating on the assumption that what I need to
do is somehow guess what IO the pnp modem is on and set the
IO port and irq of one of the sioX devices in the kernel config file
to contain the same information.

If this is not correct, please let me know..

If it is correct then the problem that I am having is that I have no
clue what IO ( 2f8, 3e8, 3e2 ) the modem is on.  I believe that it
is on irq 11 since in the dmesg there is the following line...

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1057, dev=0x5600) at 10.0 irq 11

I think this must be the modem, since it seems like all else is
accounted for, but if I'm wrong, please let me know.  I've compiled
about 20 different kernels all without success.. I have some idea
of what to do, and had no trouble getting an older modem with
jumpers working..

in the kernel config file, on the siox lines.. I tried changing isa? to
pci?.. but that was apparently not the correct thing to do..
	device sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 11

I also tried changing the IO_COM2 to just 0x3e2, but that was because
I confused the pcic1 with the modem.. and it turns out there is no relation
at all...

I would really appriciate it if someone could walk me through setting up
a pci pnp modem... I really can't understand why I'm having so much
trouble, because I'm sure it's not supposed to be this difficult.  I don't
need help setting up the ppp stuff.. just getting the modem to be on
one of the sioX serial ports.

Thanks,
	-Aric