Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:12:27 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Coverity problems?

--------------enig14A246A22C6231A0328C3E14

Hi,

I got a link to this article via ACM TechNews:=20
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=3D205600=
229&%0Acid=3DRSSfeed_IWK_All

"""
Linux came in with far fewer defects than average as did a number of=20
other open source projects. The version 2.6 of the Linux kernel had a=20
security bug rate of .127 per thousand lines of code. The kernel scan=20
covered 3,639,322 lines of code. As exposures were identified by=20
repeated scans, 452 defects have been fixed by kernel developers; 48=20
have been verified but not yet fixed; another 413 remain to be verified=20
and fixed, according to code scanning results posted on the Coverity Web =

site.

FreeBSD, sometimes posed as an alternative to Linux, has been slower to=20
respond to the Coverity scans. In 1,582,166 lines of code, it has fixed=20
zero defects, verified six and has another 605 to go.
"""

These numbers seem strange and out of proportion. I know there has been=20
prior cooperation with Coverity - is this just old data?