Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 16:20:19 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
Cc:        questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 01:43:06PM -0700, Doug White wrote:

> > > That's an XFree86 issue. I assume there is a knob in the XFree86 Makefile
> > > for the system or XLib that you can tune.  You'll have to check with them
> > > though.
> >
> > Yes, I suspect so (that's its an XFree86 issue).  I tried posting to the
> > comp.windows.x.i386unix but received no response so I thought I would
> > try here.  Surly, others have been hampered by this limit?
>
> I've never had it happen to me.  Just what are you running 50 of?

Mostly xterms but other things as well (clock, tkdesk, xcb, performance
monitors, etc.).  Though most of the time I don't run more than this,
there are times when I would like to (my system seems to not mind as I
am running a dual 233Mhz PPro with 256MB of memory).

After a some more research it looks like the limit may be a maximum
of 63 X clients.  I suspect this because it looks like the maximum
number of clients is limited by (at least) the value of MAXSOCKS which
seems to get set to OPEN_MAX-1.  On my system, OPEN_MAX is set to 64 in
/usr/include/sys/syslimits.h.

Of course, all of this is merely my best guess at this time since I
am completely unfamiliar with the X code and have just started poking
around in it to see if I can get to the bottom of this limit.

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox                   The husband who doesn't tell his wife everything
bob@luke.pmr.com              probably reasons that what she doesn't know won't