Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:31:26 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does vbox have support for cd-rom or usb in winxp guest?

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:17:38 -0700
"Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:38:34 +0200
> > From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:30:52 -0700
> > "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Other than the USB, everything seems to work great for a Windows 7
> > > guest. I just need a bit more memory so I don't spend so much time
> > > paging.
> > >

> > This statement interests me because, as I've posted several times, I can't
> > even start W7RC with acceleration turned on (running a recent 9-CURRENT).
> > Everything worked with older versions of the kernel and port.
> >
> > What version of FreeBSD and of the port are you using?
>
> Yes, I have seen your reports and I don't see anything like it.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 and have been using VB running Windows 7
> Release (not RC) since 8.0-BETA1.

This sort of confirms my suspicion that something has changed in the
9-CURRENT kernel to break VirtualBox.  It worked just fine until I
installed a new kernel at the beginning of last week :(

Hmm, you're running an Intel box?  I run AMD64.  Might also be a factor.

> networking and both work fine for me. No problems encountered at all
> other than that memory utilization tends to sit at 85% or more and
> paging and swapping on the Windows system makes it very slow and makes
> running more than one app at a time impractical. W7 simply can't run
> well with 512 MB of memory.
>
> I ordered memory for my ThinkPad yesterday, so I hope that I'll have
> double the memory next week.

More memory definitely helps.  I allocated 1GB to W7RC and it runs OK
with that.  But then, I have 4GB in my box.

---
Gary Jennejohn