Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 1996 23:40:30 -0600
From:      Chert Pellett <chert@dungeon.cirr.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        chert@dungeon.cirr.com
Subject:   HELP!  Trying to upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.1.0  Major upgrade??

Greetings,
	I've been trying to figure out how the heck I should
upgrade from 2.0.5-RELEASE to 2.1.0-RELEASE.  It appears to be
close to impossible. (Without backing up everything, wiping
everything out with a re-install, and restoring everything -
except those things that I shouldn't.)

	Sup appears to be worthless because I didn't get a
supfile in the specified directory (/usr/share/examples/sup) and
the one in /usr/share/FAQ/extras doesn't work... I get:

SUP Fileserver supports compression.
SUP: Invalid release current for collection base
SUP: Upgrade of base aborted at Feb  2 23:28:03 1996
SUP Upgrade of bin at Fri Feb  2 23:28:08 1996
SUP Fileserver 9.13 (4.3 BSD) 28525 on freefall.FreeBSD.org at
23:28:08
SUP Fileserver supports compression.
SUP: Invalid release current for collection bin
SUP: Upgrade of bin aborted at Feb  2 23:28:08 1996
SUP Upgrade of etc at Fri Feb  2 23:28:13 1996
SUP Fileserver 9.13 (4.3 BSD) 28528 on freefall.FreeBSD.org at
23:28:13
SUP Fileserver supports compression.

etc...

	This is with the command 'sup standard-supfile'
(-v gives the same information..)

	So, can I get the 'supfile' for the upgrade between
2.0.5 and 2.1.0?

	Also, all I'm upgrading for is to get the shared libs -
I installed nntpd from the 2.1 dist and it issues the warning
about the shared libraries - into the stream! and craps out.

	Also, how do I get the old style packages?  I would like
the ones to get the source code!  For that matter, how the heck
do I download the source code for things like /bin, /lib etc??
I've thought about just installing it on another machine and
then ftp'ing a zip or tar over.. (What a royal mess...)

	I have the '.aa' files for slib*, but I can't find
back the obscure reference to how to undo those things!
(Would it be too much work to have a single zip out there
someplace??  Or a Readme that says how to get them?)  Or
something?

	Sorry if I seem upset, I just can't find the path to
get this upgraded and my system working... (Source to nntpd
would be nice, any idea where it might be on your server? I
could then just recompile and that would be that...

	Thanks a bunch!
		-Chert

--
Chert Pellett, mailto: chert@dungeon.cirr.com