Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:46:16 -0500
From:      Dan Pelleg <peldan@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable Issues <FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw dynamic rules

Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Ilya wrote:
>
> > Since upgrade to stable, when i do ipfw show i dont see dynamic rules
> > anymore, however the counter againts the parent rule is increasing.
> > what changed? is there list of changes? how can i make surte it creates
> > rules properly?
>
> ipfw won't show dynamic rules unless you call it with -d.  The -e flag
> will list expired dynamic rules.
>
> Joe

Actually, there's a subtle issue with ipfw -d and limit rules. The PARENT
rules' expire field is generally meaningless. That is, there are situations
where a parent with nonzero child count is "expired", and also situations
where children which are counted towards the parent's count are
expired. This can lead to strange-looking ipfw -d output where you either
see LIMIT rules, but not their parent, or else a PARENT rule with a count
larger than the number of children listed.

The same problem may also cause the "OUCH! cannot remove rule" message to
appear (it can probably be ignored).

The simple solution seems to be to ignore the expire field altogether for
PARENT rules (and the complex one being to maintain it
correctly). Unfortunately, I don't have a patch for that yet.

 --
 Dan Pelleg