Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 19:35:30 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

R. Grimes writes....

>We need to get that routing performance into the 50MB/sec range and we are
>not even close.  (I seem to recall about 20MB/sec, but am not sure right
>now, too many numbers floating around in my head).

This is ridiculous. FreeBSD is an operating system, for pete's sake, not a
local routing product. If you want 50mbs take a snapshop of the op/sys and
customize it, but please, please don't  adulterate the whole  op/sys to get
some questionable functionality. If you need that kind of throughput find
yourself some nice multi-port ethernet cards and write yourself a driver,
'cause thats the only way you're going to do it without trashing lots of
other stuff.

dennis